Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Year ~ Chemo Treatment ~ The Celebration

Today marks 1 year. One year ago today, I was sitting in a chair (as I do today) next to his bed wondering what was going to happen. Michael unable to walk and the pain he had experienced that week was so excruciating. I will never forget hearing those words; Michael has a tumor located inside his spinal cord. I don’t think I will ever forget that entire week. I remember thinking will they be able to make my husband walk again? Will I lose my husband? So many thoughts ran through my head. We both were so scared.

I remember crying the entire ride home that night (it’s an hour ride) wondering how I was going to tell our children. I don’t really remember how I told them; I do remember asking them both to skip school the next day so they could go to the hospital with me to talk with the team of doctors caring for their dad. I told them they could take me to lunch in the hospital cafeteria for my birthday. Food always work.

Of course once we did get the pathology back on his tumor (which did take a while due to testing and re-testing), it was not what anyone expected.

So much has happened with Michael and me over the past year. Cancer totally changes your life. Within the past year, we have had many low points. We lost our home, Michael lost his job, and many more things, too many to mention. There have been several times Michael wanted to give up, but NEVER did. He has been a true fighter.

There have been good things out of this dreaded disease. Michael and I have grown closer than we could ever imagine. Michael and I have been together 21 years and already had a very strong relationship. We were able to watch our two beautiful children graduate high school and enjoy it. We have watched our son take off to the real world on his own. He will be starting his freshman year of college on Monday at Stephen F. Austin State University in East Texas.

And for me, I am truly amazed everyday at the fight that my husband has put up. To sit here and watch him go through treatment, to see the pain he is in through out the week, to watch him not give up on anything. He has not let cancer get in his way. He may have to use his cane at times just to get around, he may go days with little to no sleep, he may not feel like doing a thing, but he still gets up everyday and pushes on. He will not be stopped by anything. He WILL kick cancer in the butt by the time we are done.

CHEMO TREATMENT SECOND TO LAST ONE!!!
This morning we went to the doctor’s office to get his labs drawn and see the doctor. Our daughter Rebbecca came with us to spend the day with her dad. His labs are OK, not the greatest, but still good enough for treatment. While we were leaving the office to come to the Jackson building to check in, we saw David and Rachel (the young couple we met last time Michael has chemo) waiting to get Rachel’s labs. We stopped to speak with them. What a joy to finally meet Rachel. She looked well. They did say once they were done there, they too where on their way to the Jackson building for her in-patient treatment. We hope to catch up with them while we are here. Michael is in room J229 again. So far, Michael is doing rather well with his treatment. We will update everyone later.

THE CELEBRATION
Today for lunch I asked a few girlfriends from work to come up to the hospital to help me celebrate with Michael his 1 year of being a SURVIVOR. I ordered a few party trays from Jason’s Deli and ordered the most delicious cupcakes from a girl I work with. She has cupcake business and she makes the best cupcakes. I kept it quiet from Michael for the past 3 weeks.

One of them called me when they got here and I told Michael I was going out to the truck to get something to drink. I met them and helped them bring up the goodies. Let’s just way when the 4 of us walked back in he was surprised. He had to wait a few minutes to begin his celebration as the nurses where accessing his port when we walked in. Once he was hooked up, we sat and enjoyed good food and great conversation. Thanks girls for making this a great day for Michael. He had a wonderful time. Becky, Judy and Tish you are the best. Check out Michael’s carepages to see pictures from today.


Please continue to keep those fighting this dreaded disease in your prayers and their families. Also say an extra prayer for those parents who have recently lost their child to this disease. Michael (cp:
michaeederer) and Maddeson (cp: MaddesonsFight) earned their wings this week. We need to find a cure for this disease. It’s hard to watch your loved one go through this, but it is not right to have to lose your child like this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another milestone. Happy one year anniversary Michael. Praying there will be many more.

Love all of you.
Kathy