Saturday, September 12, 2009

Michael Update ~

Michael stayed down for a few days with his skin pain and other side effects. He was up and moving around by Thursday. He is still weak at times, but is managing to get around.

Michael is going to kill me for this story, but I have to tell it.

Sunday, my lovely husband was outside in the shop helping my dad work on a car and hit the top of his head. He was down in front of the car and his leg started to cramp. When he tried to stand up, he hit is head on what we think was the engine hoist (yes a large metal pipe). He went down and luckily my dad was right there and was able to help him down easily It did knocked him out for a few seconds. I just happened to be walking out there as I saw my dad and brother trying to help Michael into a chair. It was a site considering Michael is 6’2” and around 250 and my dad and brother are 5’7” and 5’10” and not very big.

He did not cut his head open (thank you god) and we continued to monitor him through the night as he was playing stubborn and didn’t want to go into the ER. Only thing he had was a severe headache and his shoulders were hurting. He did later complain a little of the left jaw, ear being sore to touch and when he ate. Of course, later Sunday evening they were back out there putting the parts of the car back together. Yes, I was out there like a mother watching / helping every step of the way. Monday, I would not let him out of my site for even a second.

Tuesday we went in for his labs. We normally wait around for them and talk with his nurse and doctor. When we walked back to see his nurse, his doctor was standing right there. He asked how’s the labs, and the nurse began pulling them up. Then he asked Michael how he has been doing. It’s funny, when we do see the doctor, he never looks at Michael anymore to see how he is doing, and he always looks at me for an answer. Michael drops his head, not to look at the doctor. I told doc what had happened on Sunday and he pulled off Michael’s hat. Of course that hurt, so he put Michael into an exam room. He looked over Michael’s head and went to get his lab results.

Michael’s labs were actually not too bad for where he is at in his cycle. They looked pretty good. So his doctor sent him down for a CT of the head. He wanted to make sure the contusion was above the skull and not between the skull and brain. If his counts weren’t that great, he was going to give him a transfusion to help with the contusion.

Finally the doctor did call with the results of the CT scan. Michael has a very large contusion above the skull. He will have another CT scan when we admit him on Thursday for his LAST treatment (yes I said last, we are so excited) to make sure it is going down. He said as large as the contusion is, Michael will probably have a headache and his shoulder will continue to be sore for a few weeks.

Wednesday, Rebbecca and I both came down with some nasty stomach bug. Let me tell you, I do not wish that on anyone. I am not one to get sick, but that was awful. I am still fighting headaches on and off, but it is that lovely time of the year for my allergies.

Michael is coming up with some big plans for Thursday for his doctors and nurses when we get ready to check in to the Jackson Building. I will keep them a secret for now; don’t want to ruin the surprises. If you know Michael, he can be a big prankster. Let’s just say I will have the camera and computer ready to update once we get there.

As always, please continue to keep all those beautiful people, our sarcoma friends and everyone fighting any cancer in your prayers and let’s pray for a cure!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that your doctor was there to see you Michael, and to get the CT scan done. Concussions are nothing to mess with, especially in your weakened state. Even tho we are miles apart I will celebrate with you after your last treatment. I know that you will be anxious to have a more normal life again.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Love from Colorado
Kathy